Using Foreign Languages in Fiction and A Tour of my Animal Crossing Island | BTS Writing Vlog 022
For me, goals are constantly moving and adjusted to my ever-changing needs as a writer. And that’s where I started this behind the scenes writing vlog. Just like all the others, I fell off the wagon, got back on, and went on to achieve a little bit of success. Well, just a little. In this vlog, I also deliberate on how I’m going to show a character choosing to speak French while talking to the police. This decision leads D.I. Anwar Khan to enlist my protagonist, James Lalonde, as a translator. And, I start to worry about how my audience will react to this story decision. If I’m honest, I’m worried that I might get a bit of hate in the reviews in this first-in-series novella.
Or, perhaps, I’m overthinking this a little too much. But only time will tell.
At the end of this writing vlog, I remembered that I almost forgot that it was a public holiday. Luckily, I remembered just in time and spent the day on animal crossing. And, I give you a quick tour of my animal crossing island.
So stay tuned for all of this and much more coming up in this weekly writing vlog.
- My Goal for the week
- Did I write on Monday afternoon?
- Setting a low bar writing goal
- The word count for the Candidate at the end of each writing day
- Setting a new writing goal
- What I achieved on each writing day
- I submitted the first act of the Candidate to my alpha reader on HeyBeta
- Did I write the midpoint scene of The Candidate?
- My writing goal for Thursday
- Thinking is writing
- I’m thinking about using the French language in a fiction novel for the English speaking market
- My concerns about how The Candidate will be received by readers
- Recording episodes of the Authorpreneur Podcast and the Five Minute Writing Coach Podcast
- About the Five Minute Writing Coach Podcast
- My writing goal for Friday
- Letting go of obsessing over word count as a measure of progress
- How I wrote a scene with French dialogue in a fiction novel for the English speaking market
- I almost forgot about a public holiday
- A quick tour around my Animal Crossing Island
* DISCLAIMER: This video and blog post may contain affiliate links (marked with a 🌟), which means if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission helps support the website, YouTube Channel and allows me to continue to make content like this. Thank you for your support. All links without the star are provided to help you find the things I’m discussing in the video and are not affiliate links, so I do not receive any compensation for sharing it with you. 🙂
I’m Amelia. I write amateur sleuth mystery novels under the pen name A. D. Hay and I’m the author of The Candidate, The Locked Room, The Lawn, Suspicion and Duplicity. I’m also the host of the Mystery Novel Nerd Podcast and The Authorpreneur Podcast™️. Right now, I’m writing the first novella in a cozy mystery series, and writing the third book in the James Lalonde Mystery Series. When I’m not writing, hosting my podcasts or coaching aspiring authors, I love to travel around Europe with my Husband, drink tea, and eat pizza.